When it rains, it pours
If you ever been exactly where you need to be at exactly the time you needed to be there?
Over Memorial Day weekend my daughter, grandson, and I flew up to Idaho Falls to hang out with my dad.
My dad had a few to-dos for us. Mr. Bean's swept out the boathouse and helped my dad haul a load of trash to the dump.
We did a little flood mitigation work because they've been having an unusual amount of rain up there too. The neighbor said we needed to get some gutters back up so guess who go to learn how to hang gutters.
Mr. Bean got to use some power tools.
We got the snow blower put away.
We made a trip to Lowes to get some extensions for the downspouts.
That's when the call for help went out. This whole crew of guys came over with supersized water vacs, fans, and dehumidifiers. They were also able to remove all the soaked carpet and take it out of the house to be disposed of.
The next day Mary and I knew we had to get the gutters and downspouts cleaned out so we went back to Lowes and then Home Depot for more gutter supplies which were pretty much sold out by this point. On the way out we saw a pressure washer for rent. Perfect tool for cleaning gutters.
We also got Dad ready for summer by installing his windows ACs and I climbed up and got his swamp cooler working.
Look at the size of my dad's snowball tree. Amazing!
We had game night with our favorite Genus edition of Trivial Pursuit. Luckily Gramps sat in his chair and provided answers. I couldn't have been the 4-time champ without him!
We even convinced Mr. Beans to join us in a game of Scrabble. He says it's boring.
One more thing we did was to fill Gramp's freezer with individual sized homemade meals that should last a couple months.
We had to leave on Monday and I felt really bad because I knew my dad needed to get a contractor in there to do something about the window well and to fix the drainage issues. We left praying that the rain would hold off for a few days. Luckily, he was able to get someone in there right away to fix the problems.
I'm really grateful to have been there last weekend! We were right where we needed to be.
One more thing to say...girl power! We can take care of almost anything when needed. Thanks Mary for being there and for being willing to climb that ladder!
Over Memorial Day weekend my daughter, grandson, and I flew up to Idaho Falls to hang out with my dad.
My dad had a few to-dos for us. Mr. Bean's swept out the boathouse and helped my dad haul a load of trash to the dump.
We did a little flood mitigation work because they've been having an unusual amount of rain up there too. The neighbor said we needed to get some gutters back up so guess who go to learn how to hang gutters.
Mr. Bean got to use some power tools.
We made a trip to Lowes to get some extensions for the downspouts.
Then it started raining. Then it starting hailing. Then it started raining a little harder. Then all hell broke loose. This is where the camera got put away and Mary, Mr. Beans, and I went into emergency mode.
This picture doesn't begin to show the worst of it. See that window? At one point it was filled with water which was coming through the window. It looked like an aquarium. We could not empty buckets fast enough. Before we knew it this bedroom had about an inch of water which soon crept out into the hallway and across the hall. We had buckets, mops, and a shop vac, but we were overwhelmed.
The next day Mary and I knew we had to get the gutters and downspouts cleaned out so we went back to Lowes and then Home Depot for more gutter supplies which were pretty much sold out by this point. On the way out we saw a pressure washer for rent. Perfect tool for cleaning gutters.
We also got Dad ready for summer by installing his windows ACs and I climbed up and got his swamp cooler working.
Look at the size of my dad's snowball tree. Amazing!
There was some fun in addition to the all the work. My girls used to enjoy wheelbarrow rides around Granny and Gramp's yard when they were young. I don't think Mr. Beans enjoyed it half as much as they used to.
We had game night with our favorite Genus edition of Trivial Pursuit. Luckily Gramps sat in his chair and provided answers. I couldn't have been the 4-time champ without him!
We even convinced Mr. Beans to join us in a game of Scrabble. He says it's boring.
One more thing we did was to fill Gramp's freezer with individual sized homemade meals that should last a couple months.
We had to leave on Monday and I felt really bad because I knew my dad needed to get a contractor in there to do something about the window well and to fix the drainage issues. We left praying that the rain would hold off for a few days. Luckily, he was able to get someone in there right away to fix the problems.
I'm really grateful to have been there last weekend! We were right where we needed to be.
One more thing to say...girl power! We can take care of almost anything when needed. Thanks Mary for being there and for being willing to climb that ladder!
Comments
That was some storm. Glad y'all got your Dad fixed up...