Skywatch Friday: Riparian Preserve

I'm spending some time in the Arizona desert with my daughter and her family this week.  While they're all at work or school I've been exploring some of the trails located in the midst of the city.


Yesterday I wandered over to the Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch in Gilbert.  The preserve was created in 1999 by the city of Gilbert to combine water resources, wildlife habitat, educational programs and recreational opportunities.  It covers 110 acres including 70 acres of seven water basins.


I was there to explore some of its 4.5 miles of trails.  I'm always amazed to find water and lush vegetation in the middle of the desert.


The parking lot was full when I arrived so I circled the lot for awhile before I noticed a small sign that said additional parking was available at the library that was only a block away.  The trails were beautifully maintained and despite being in the midst of a metropolitan city I didn't encounter too many people.


I didn't make it by all the ponds, I plan to make another trip to see more.  The views were stunning.


An informational sign says there are 298 species of birds that visit the preserve.


I'm definitely not a birder so I don't know what this guy is, but he's beautiful.  Maybe an egret?.


The trails are extremely well marked which I very much appreciated.


Lots of ducks including this majestic Mallard.


I really liked the mental health tips posted along the trails.  I know my mental health is improved when I'm out on a trail somewhere without too many other people around.

I especially loved this quote by Ghandi.  Our world is in turmoil at the moment and we can all benefit by practicing kindness.


Desert vegetation always intrigues me.  These trees are currently in bloom and they're stunning.  My iPhone says is a Blue Palo Verde and I believe that's correct.


More amazing birds.  I love their reflection in the water/


They even had a display of vegetation you would expect to see in the Sonoran Desert--the Saguaro.

If you're ever in the "Valley" I highly suggest a visit to the preserve.  As the Phoenix area is already in the 100s, go early and take water!





Comments

Looks like you discovered a wonderful location to explore! Yes, that does look like a Palo Verde with those yellow flowers.
Jutta.K. said…
Wunderschöne Fotos !
Nanda kumar said…
Yellow blooms and birds are beautiful
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Who'd of thought so much water in the middle of the desert.
Cath said…
some stunning scenes....I love the first image and the Egret (I also think it is an Egret) a lovely find!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!