Roman Architecture - Rome Day 2

For the final day of our trip we purchased tickets for the Big Red Bus.  Its a double-decker bus that takes tourists through the city and stops at many points of interest while narrating everything that you're seeing via personal headsets.  Our goal was to get to St. Peter's Basilica in time for the Pope's weekly blessing at noon.


The stop closest to the Vatican was at Castel Sant'Angelo.  This castle was built as a mausoleum for the Roman Emperor Hadrian and his family between 134 and 139 AD.  Hadrian's ashes were placed here in 138.  The ashes of other emperors were also placed here until 217.  The building became a military fortress in the 5th century and in 410 the urns and ashes were looted by the Visigoths.  Popes converted the fortress into a castle in the 14th century and it was also used as a prison.  Today it is a museum which we did not have time to go into.


We found our way to St. Peter's Square which is directly in front of St. Peter's Basilica.  It's named after St. Peter who was an apostle of Jesus and is said to the the first Pope.


We had go through security to get into the square and promptly at noon the Pope made his appearance from the window of the Papal Apartments.


He was quite a distance up there but they have big screen monitors in the square so you can get a better view.


Of course we didn't understand a word he said because he was speaking in Latin and Italian.  The crowd cheered several times so it must have been something good.  At the end he gave a blessing which I fully appreciate despite not being Catholic.  I'll gladly take a blessing from any religious leader.


Then we made our way towards the basilica hoping we'd be able to get in on a Sunday.  If I understood correctly, construction of the basilica began in the 1st century and was completed in the 1600s.


My hope when entering the basilica was that I would be able to see Michelangelo's La Pieta.  It is one of Michelangelo's most famous works and I was thrilled that it was right inside the door as we entered.  I get very emotional when I see art that I've only read about in books.  This was another highlight of the trip.  It's kept behind glass presumably to keep it safe so my photos don't do it justice.  A mother mourning the loss of her son.


There are many side altars and the popes seem to be entombed here.  Many of them have very lavish, ornate tombs and then there is John Paul II who is simple.  The Catholic church has many problems but John Paul II seemed like a decent person.


This is Pope John XXIII who is perfectly preserved in wax.


Here's the over the top tomb of Pope Leo XI who was a Medici.  Nothing simple or humble about this tomb.


Down these stairs are several graves that include the remains of St. Peter.  Peter died a horrendous death for being a Christian.  He was crucified upside down.  Then Constantine came around and brought Christianity to Rome and this magnificent structure was built to honor St. Peter.  Being so close to the remains of one of Jesus's apostles was a surreal experience.  Someone on the ship told us that if we were Catholic our bishop could have gotten us passes to go down there.  


St. Peter's Basilica is the largest church in the world and it is breathtaking.  So grateful to have gone inside.


The Swiss Guards are posted outside.


Then we started walking toward the Pantheon and came across the Neptune fountain.  Too many people to get a decent photo.


Jillian and Brian said the Pantheon was their favorite site in Rome so we were excited to see it.  Bad news though...on weekends you need a reservation and we didn't have one.  Next time we'll be better prepared.



Then it was on to find the Trevi Fountain which I'm sure you've all seen in many movies.  Again, it was too crowded for a great picture or even to get close enough to throw a coin in to see if I'd fall in love in Rome.


Then it was back on the Big Red Bus to make our way to the Colosseum.  Driving through Rome you see all these old Roman ruins everywhere.  It's so spectacular to those of us whose country is less than 300 years old.  I believe this is Palantine Hill, one of the seven hills of Rome where people have lived since the 10th century BC.


We got off the bus and went to purchase tickets.  It was 3:45 p.m.  Guess what time it closes on a Sunday...3:30 p.m.  Another big disappointment due to us not being prepared, but we still got to wonder around the outside.


It's the largest outdoor amphitheater ever built and is still the largest standing outdoor amphitheater in the world.


It was built between 72 and 80 AD and is one of the seven wonders of the world.


In 1749 Pope Benedict XIV declared it a sacred site because so many Christians were martyred here, however, there was never any historical evidence to support his claim.


I'm pretty sure this is where they kept the lions or maybe the slaves before they were sacrificed.  There is also no historical evidence to support this claim of mine.  


Above is the Arch of Constantine built to celebrate one of his victories in 315 AD
.

Rome has to be the most beautiful city in the world. We've been to a lot of places and by far the Romans were head and heels ahead of their time.  The beautiful architecture and memorials that are still standing 2000+ years later is mind blowing.  I'm glad we got to visit.  Will we ever go back?  Probably not, it's a city of 3 million people and it's crowded.  I prefer places that are a little more relaxing and less metropolitan.

Time to go home!


Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Hey you got to see the Pope!! The Basilica is amazing.

I remembered something La Pieta, it got vandalized by some dude with a hammer in 1972 is the reason I guess it is behind glass. (What is wrong with people).

I can't imagine what it would be like to see the Colesseum and the Parthenon.

The Romans were very competent engineers and constructors despite not having much in the way of math to help them out.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!