Honoring Dr. King

After Shiloh loaded on the bus we started our journey north towards what would be our "real" vacation.  We were heading to Asheville, NC to spend a few days.


Our drive took us through Atlanta and I asked if we could make a stop to "smell the roses" along the way.  Lunch was the first order of business and we stopped at a Chick Fil A that was actually called the Dwarf House.


Most of us know that Chick Fil A originated in Atlanta, but I knew nothing about the Dwarf Houses.  Apparently they're modeled after the original restaurant.  One side has a sit down restaurant with menu service, the other side is the fast food that we're all accustomed to.  Mary wanted to protest and not eat there because of some of their views, and I don't agree with some of them either, but I love their chicken and that's where we stopped.


The quick stop I wanted to make in Atlanta was to the MLK Memorial to honor Dr. and Mrs. King for their service and ultimate sacrifice to our country.  I had seen pictures of this memorial and I had no idea how beautiful, peaceful and inspiring it would be.  I was surprised that it was out in the open and accessible to anyone who wanted to visit.  A security guard was on the premises to keep an eye on people.  

I remember the day Dr. King was killed.  I was only 8 years old and it must have been around Easter because we had just returned from a trip to the Phoenix area.  We were living in Eagar, AZ at the time.  I saw the news on the TV and ran to tell my mom.  I recall that they were quite distraught at his assassination.  A sad day for sure.  Three years ago I got to visit the Lorraine Motel in Memphis and stood on the spot where he was shot.  The National Civil Rights Museum is there now and it tells the story of slavery from its inception through the civil war and Jim Crowe to the civil rights protests.  It was the most moving museum I've ever been to and affected me deeply.  We have much to be ashamed of.


The fountain was beautiful and serene.


Mary was so thankful we stopped here.  Every American who believes in equal justice for all should make a stop here.  Dr. King was such a brave man and his wife continued his good work for the rest of her life.


There were exhibits with his Medal of Freedom and...


Nobel Peace Prize.


The Ebenezer Baptist Church that he preached at is right next door.


It is surreal seeing these historic sites in person.  I'm thankful we had the opportunity.


The National Park Service has done an amazing job with a visitor center and park across the street from the memorial.

Definitely worth a visit if you're ever in Atlanta.

 


Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
That's awesome. I'm going to add it to my bucket list.

I like Chick filet myself. Yes, I don't like some of their views but they probably don't like some of mine. We need to bridge the gap one person at a time. Especially if they have good chicken.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!