Skywatch Friday: Phelps Lake

 Last week I got to spend a few days in one of my favorite places on earth--Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  I've been going there my entire life...even before Jackson became a getaway for the rich and famous.

My husband and I like to hike, but we don't want to be around hordes of people.  One day we ventured to a less traveled area of Grand Teton National Park to hike out to Phelps Lake. 

Before pulling into the parking lot we encountered a bear jam.  Yes, there was a bear hanging out right by the trail head we were going to.  That's what bear spray and lots of talking if for when you're on a trail, right?


There are several trails that take off from the Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve off the Moose-Wilson Road.  The preserve is a 1106 acre preserve that was originally known as the JY Ranch.  It was purchased by John Rockefeller in 1927 as a family retreat.  Over the years the family donated the land to expand the Grand Teton National Park.  The final parcel was donated by Laurance S. Rockefeller in 2001.  Thank you Rockefeller family!

By the way--yes, I put my mask on when passing by others on the trail.


It is serene and beautiful.


Here's Irv carrying not only our backpack but also our picnic lunch.  For some reason he doesn't think I should carry anything.  What a great guy!


I always stop and take photos of the gnarly old trees I encounter.


The trails in the Tetons are extremely well maintained.


I don't know about you, but I appreciate the hard work of the trail maintenance crews.


The Tetons does a much better job of marking their trails than Yellowstone does.  It's always good to know you're going the right way.


The last time we did this trail several years ago we encountered a doe with two fawns.  This was the only wildlife we saw on this day.


After a couple miles we reached the lake.



The water is so crystal clear.  I wished I had brought my water shoes along.  It was a warm day and a little wading would have felt so good.


We always try to take a selfie on each hike.  You can see by my sweaty appearance that it was a hot day in the Tetons.


We found a nice beach area on the lake and sat down to enjoy our lunch.


Life doesn't get much better than this.


Before long we continued on our way.


We went through some beautiful grasslands and marshy areas.


I dared Irv to climb this big boulder--he's never been one to back down from a dare.


After completing our hike I drove us over to Mormon Row.  Earlier this year I painted this barn from a photograph I took last year.  I wanted to stop by and check the windows.


My photo gave me the impression that there were glass panes in the windows so that's how I painted them.  I wanted to stop by and check to see if that was correct which it was.  I took some time to inspect the barn and compare it to my painting. I think I did okay.  It's not exact, but if you want exact take a picture.


Of course I couldn't leave without taking a photo of my beloved Tetons.



Comments

I've only been to the Tetons once, but it made a lasting impression, and one of the most beautiful areas I've been to. Hope to visit again someday.
Nanda kumar said…
Beautiful natural landscapes
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Another great hike. Last year we stopped by the preserve. It was interesting but bitterly cold so we didn't hike. We did see moose in the area though.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!