Turkey Trot 2017
On Thanksgiving morning some of us loaded up and headed to the Y for their annual Turkey Trot 5K. It was a beautiful morning, not too cold. We joined thousands of other runners for this Colorado Springs tradition.
Have you ever gone on a 5K when you haven't done one in a while? Three miles is a long way when you're unprepared. The first mile lasted forever, the second mile was a little better, and the third mile was the best. I hate to admit it, but I left G behind with her parents at about the 2 mile mark. I thought they were right behind me, but at the finish line I realized I had left them in the dust. G said it made her sad that Grammy left her behind.
Maisy was one of the lucky dogs who got a bandanna so she could participate. She did quite well for a short, little dog. How far do you think 5K is when your legs are only 4 inches high?
After a potty break and a stop at Starbucks we went home to start the Thanksgiving Day festivities. So much fun and we could eat all we wanted because we had gotten our 10K steps done early in the day.
Can't wait until next year!
Miss G did not have her stroller so she had to register as a participant since she was walking (ridicules to make a 2 year old register). She got her own race shirt and bib number. Dada was her ride for the morning when she needed a break from walking.
Dana was looking chipper that morning and didn't even complain about the cold too much. She needed to borrow a ball cap, but refused to wear my NRA cap. Yes, I was a member of the NRA for a while--a flaming liberal who belonged to the NRA. How is that possible?
This year the race allowed a small number of dogs to participate. They too had to register and pay a $10 fee. They got a red bandanna to wear and a big ole dog biscuit.
Have you ever gone on a 5K when you haven't done one in a while? Three miles is a long way when you're unprepared. The first mile lasted forever, the second mile was a little better, and the third mile was the best. I hate to admit it, but I left G behind with her parents at about the 2 mile mark. I thought they were right behind me, but at the finish line I realized I had left them in the dust. G said it made her sad that Grammy left her behind.
Maisy was one of the lucky dogs who got a bandanna so she could participate. She did quite well for a short, little dog. How far do you think 5K is when your legs are only 4 inches high?
See the little one right in the middle? That's G crossing the finish line. Dada is to the right of her and mamma is on the far right in the pink hat.
After a potty break and a stop at Starbucks we went home to start the Thanksgiving Day festivities. So much fun and we could eat all we wanted because we had gotten our 10K steps done early in the day.
Can't wait until next year!
Comments