Hangin' out with the boys

This past weekend I took a trip down memory lane with my dad, brothers, and Irv.  We all met in Phoenix and then made the drive to Payson, Arizona where I was born.

In 1959, a few months before I was born, my dad was transferred to Payson to be the District Forest Ranger.  My parents and a few other people formed a group that eventually led to the start of Mount Cross Lutheran Church in Payson.  The church is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year and my dad, a charter member, was invited to attend.  We decided to make it a "mini" family reunion.

This is the Ranger Station where my dad worked.  It's part of a museum now.  We were lucky enough to get to tour inside when the folks running the museum heard that my dad used to work there.

Across the street from the Ranger Station is the house where the ranger and his family lived. This was my first home.










This used to be the horse pasture, barn, and helipad for the Ranger Station.  Now it's a beautiful park and lake.


 

My dad is full of stories, a walking museum.  He can tell you the history of everything.  Outside the museum there is a memorial to firefighters who have been killed fighting fire.  A couple of the guys that this memorial is dedicated to worked for my dad and were killed during his tenure in Payson.  He said it was a very tough year.

After touring the old homestead we went to a luncheon at the church.  There were very nice and recognized my dad for his pioneering work for the church.  My dad was able to share some of his stories with the congregation.  On Sunday morning we went to services at the church followed by another potluck. 

So it was me and the four men last weekend--it made me really miss my mom.  We got to hear some good stories about the "good old days" when my mom and dad were first together.  Such good stories, I hope I can pass them on to my kids and grandkids some day.








Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Great post Ellen, it was a fun weekend. I was very happy with the park and museum where we used to live and Dad used to work.
Territory Mom said…
This is so lovely. How wonderful that you guys went there with your dad. I bet he was so happy.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: Cheyenne Mountain State Park

Skywatch Friday: An unknown treasure

Skywatch Friday: Columbia Icefield and Athabasca Glacier